Showing off my cute kids' life in Cartoon 고양이의 딸네미 자랑

Friday, February 23, 2007

Learning Danish at KISS

KISS stands for Københavns Intensive Sprog Skole. It has special method teaching: students have to memorize 15 new sentences each class, in form of test as reciting and writing. This is only short, speedy Danish course offered in whole of Denmark,as each level takes only 3 weeks (with 3 hourx3days per week). If you miss more than 2 classes, or mass up any of those tests more than 2 times, you are automatically take the same level again.
It is popular with foreigners who have high level of education, who are eager to do competitive, intensive course in speedy way. Otherwise, I was told by other students, one has to take painfully slow, other more common language schools, up to 2 years.
I have taken KISS since last June. From my experience, KISS can work only if one gets a good teacher. I had roughly 7 different teachers there in the course of 6 levels (it takes 10 levels to the end with Danish 3 Exam, which is required for residency). 4 of them were ok to good teachers, and 3 were horrible. Students do not have any choice for teachers, and the school has been strangely cranky on the matter.
Good teachers are same everywhere: dedicated, helpful, kind, skilled. The bad ones at KISS are authoritarians, who take things to the personal level. I strongly believe that formal test in each level would be better off for students to get an objective evaluation.
Students are not dumb, and can see unfair treatment when one sees it.
Even if I did pass this level, I have got a classic bad teacher's evaluation. I was told that I ask too many simple questions (!!!), and the teacher predicted that I shall never be able to pass future exams. I could not get any constructive information regarding my Danish, but strange personal trashing here, which I really did not see it coming. I wondered if this is the way those underprivileged kids get from their depressing teachers. Those comments are down right wrong. I do have expectation that a teacher would be supportive, even if I may not be the brightest in the class. Waite, I am not that bad, really, I did pass the level. I speak Norwegian already, and I have two masters degrees, and I love to learn foreign languages. Did I mention that I am an assistant professor in computer animation?
I had 2 nut case teachers in a row at the moment. While I loved those good teachers, I am fed up with KISS attitude and some abusive teachers. I am considering to change to other school. I want to have my learning Danish as positive as possible. It is any body's time waisted with nai-sayers.

PS. KISS certainly stroked wrong way with Kommune, and it is now closed down. It caused a mess for my exam plan. Well, life goes on.